Re: [lbo-talk] Atheists identified as America’s mo st distrusted minority

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu Mar 23 13:02:24 PST 2006

> On 23 Mar 2006 at 15:42, Sean Johnson Andrews wrote:
>
> > One question though: The study cites 3% as the number of people who could
> > be defined as atheists. I seem to remember much larger numbers reported by
> > people on this list (maybe as much as 30%). Are they off in their
> > measurements, defining it differently, or just less prone to exaggeration?
> > Or maybe I'm misremembering.
>

> According to the American Religious Identification Survey (ARIS) of 2001 15% of the US was in the
> category of Agnostic/Atheist. I have no idea where this study got its 3%.

I'm going to respond to my own post to add that the 16% comes from including Agnostic/Atheist with No Religious Belief/Secular. On it's own Atheism accounted for less than 1% of the responses. Putting them together makes sense. What's the difference between No Religious Belief and Agnostic? I still don't know where the 3% comes from however.

John Thornton