[lbo-talk] France, Serbia, Halabja, USA

Andy F andy274 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 24 05:52:10 PST 2006

On 3/23/06, Yoshie Furuhashi <furuhashi.1 at osu.edu> wrote:

> But we have been unable to break the mold of ritualistic one-day
> demonstrations that come and go and to help create conditions that
> motivate millions of people to persevere in the streets for weeks at
> a time (different currents using a range of tactics) till the
> government meets the demand or at least makes substantial
> concessions. That's what French students and workers know how to do,
> and that's also part of the playbook of Washington-backed regime
> changes (because Washington learned from leftists).

Where has mass street presence been a factor in US manipulation?

I'm beginning to fear that it will take an Argentine situation here to get committed large scale involvement. If that.

> The immigrant rights demo in Chicago is encouraging, though.

My point was that this was the biggest demonstration turnout since, what, the Million Man March? And maybe 25-30 years before that? And I bet they were largely immigrants, as opposed to native USers. With maybe a few weeks' organization. It reminds me of Chomsky talking about how USers tend to ask, "Christ, what do we do?" where people elsewhere, from France to Haiti, know what to do. It's another bit of exceptionalism.

Anybody know anything behind the organization of the Chicago demos?

-- Andy