[lbo-talk] Hillary on Iraq

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 24 07:23:42 PST 2006

[first she doesn't answer the question, then she implies that Iraqis are a bunch of welfare dependents]

<http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/story/402553p-340839c.html>

After her speech, the audience peppered the former First Lady with questions. One man asked if she would support bringing home U.S. troops in the next six months, as U.S. Rep. John Murtha (D-Pa.) has suggested.

"I was stunned when the President gave his answer about when the war in Iraq would be over - that it would be up to future Presidents," Clinton said. "I don't think that was a responsible answer."

And though Clinton said she did not believe that the U.S. can commit to a specific withdrawal date, she added, "The Iraqi people cannot expect us to be there for them indefinitely."