[lbo-talk] doom

Michael Hoover hooverm at scc-fl.edu
Fri Mar 24 09:53:31 PST 2006

>>> dhenwood at panix.com 03/22/06 10:40 AM >>>
I'm amazed that Nathan thinks that the defeat in California is enough reason to give up on the big stuff and do the "fair share" campaigns instead. What happened to learning from your defeat and trying again? If the right had given up after Goldwater's defeat in 1964, we'd never have had Reagan as president. Doug <<<<<<>>>>>

i've long maintained - and have probably expressed such on this list - there has been general failure/unwillingness to address 'the other' 60s...

as for '64, radical right wasn't dispirited by goldwater's defeat, activists were enthused by it, about 2 million people contributed to goldwater campaign, up from about 40,000 that contributed to nixon in '60, radical right controlled stronger southern republican party, such activists laid groundwork for what would become the 'southern strategy', and a few were even elected to congress during this period...

these young conservatives were zealots, they dug political fighting, more importantly, the built a framework of conservative organizations that were ideologically committed to conservatism rather than republican party and that eschewed politics of compromise and conciliation... mh