[lbo-talk] Slaves of Academe: We Don't Need Another Hero

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Fri Mar 24 10:17:24 PST 2006

Michael Pugliese wrote:

>http://slavesofacademe.blogspot.com/2006/03/we-dont-need-another-hero.html
> Revolutionary tourism, Chavismo, the Che complex and the privileged
>academic left.

Yawn. Privilege schmivelege.

ISO maven Anthony Arnove complains that Chavez is following the Castro model. Social democrats and liberals make the same complaint. I guess the message is that the only good revolution to purists of either persuasion is a failed revolution.

My reponse to this is the same I made to Arnove the other week: it's really hard to make a revolution. It's really easy to sit comfortably in the USA and complain about this or that, but you try facing the hostility of your own bourgeoisie backed by Washington. You try figuring out how to run an economy with all the technical experts against you. Who's the "privileged academic left" in this picture, really?

Doug