[lbo-talk] Slaves of Academe: We Don't Need Another

Luke Weiger lweiger at umich.edu
Fri Mar 24 12:55:25 PST 2006

Doug wrote:

> ISO maven Anthony Arnove complains that Chavez is following the
> Castro model. Social democrats and liberals make the same complaint.
> I guess the message is that the only good revolution to purists of
> either persuasion is a failed revolution.

The only good revolution is a revolution that produces something worthwhile (or more modestly, something clearly superior to the likely alternatives). I think Chavez will ultimately fail, and his failure will owe more to his authoritarianism than his enemies. In the past, you've raised a smart point-activism isn't an end in and of itself. Neither is revolution, even when carried out by ostensible leftists.

-- Luke