[lbo-talk] Re: Blaming the lobby

Marvin Gandall marvgandall at videotron.ca
Sun Mar 26 12:12:21 PST 2006

I think people are being too hard on the Meirscheimer-Walt essay, which I still can be used to counter the illusions the mass of the population has in the Israel/US axis as an alliance which protects, rather than undermines, its security. To the extent the article helps promote distance from that alliance, including within the US foreign policy and intelligence establishment, it is a positive contribution. My sense is that this is what the uninitated will take away from the article, as the authors intended, rather than any desire to launch a pogrom against Jews in general. There's no question that Massad's piece is a more faithful reflection of the real nature of the US-Israel relationship, but it should be noted that he also, as he explains in his essay, accepts the existence of an influential Israel lobby and has indeed had distressing first-hand experience of it. I posted the Massad article on the Marxmail list the other day with the following comment:

"Excellent article by Columbia Prof. Joseph Massad in Al-Ahram Weekly, courtesy of the Electronic Intifada...Massad, a prominent target of the Israel lobby, explains why the lobby is NOT driving US foreign policy, although there is a convergence of interests. Massad turns Mearsheimer-Walt on their heads much as Marx did Hegel on a grander scale, but this should not obscure the fact that the M-W article, as was the case with Hegel, also represents an advance over what has come before, and has opened the kind of wider discussion in which interventions like Massad's can have more of an impact."