[lbo-talk] Fwd: [PEN-L] Blaming the lobby

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 18:40:37 PST 2006

Carrol Cox:

You are so funny, Carrol. The argument is precisely over what *that interest* is. This is not metaphysics. It is something that can be resolved, with factual, historical, empirical information. Or, else, you are refuting your own previous statements! Re-read what you wrote before:

> The point is not that Israel is weak but that its strength is grounded
> in, depends on, the overarching power of u.s. imperialism.
>
> And the point is not that the Zionist lobby is weak but that its power
> is grounded in the general ideological and cultural strength of the u.s.
> ruling class.
>
> Hence the lobby can have great influence (defeating Finley -- who
> incidentally probably was anti-semitic), but it would lose that
> influence were it not supported by the cultural and political power of
> the u.s. ruling class.

In plain words, you (like Massad) are implying that *the interest* (whatever that turns out to be) of U.S. capitalists and that of the Zionists are basically aligned.

Now, since your claims (just like mine or perhaps even less so) are not accompanied by much concrete factual information, should I presume that you're asserting divine inspiration, portending to know a priori what the "the cultural and political power of the u.s. ruling class" or the "general ideological and cultural strength of the u.s. ruling class" truly are and -- by implication -- how and why they so accommodate the activities of the Israel lobby?

I don't think so. I think you are just trying to figure things out -- within the concrete bounds imposed on human cognition. So am I. Do you have anything else, more specific, to say about this or you just like to play gotcha?

Julio