[lbo-talk] More on L.A.'s "biggest public protest in its history"

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Sun Mar 26 23:05:01 PST 2006

B. wrote:

>President George Bush is, unusually, on the
>moderate side of the debate, pushing for a
>guest-worker programme that would keep the immigrants
>coming in accordance with America's economic needs but
>end the cat-and-mouse games at the border that have
>led to 3,500 migrant deaths from exposure to the
>punishing desert climate in the past 12 years.

The guest worker program should not get our support. It basically creates a two-tier program for handling immigrant workers. The guest tier provides "the right to work" with no other rights; the "other" tier criminalizes the other workers. It drives a wedge through the immigrant population, very much like the wedge driven through unions by the two-tier programs introduced there. One tier got to keep wage and benefit gains; the other got fucked.

As LA demonstrated, the immigrants are strong and united right now -- that's a good place to be.

Joanna