[lbo-talk] Blaming the lobby

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 08:08:49 PST 2006

Marvin,

> But I don't think the relationship has reached the stage where it has become
> "impossibly onerous" and portends an abandonment of Israel on grounds that
> its interests are contradictory to those of Western capitalism. Israel's
> interests have never been perceived that way, in Europe as well as in the
> US, and the overriding consensus continues to be that Israel - reflecting
> the culture, politics, and economic system of the West - must continue to
> remain the strongest power in the region and a prop to weak conservative
> Arab governments. Especially in the US, where there is very broad and strong
> support for Israel and the Zionist lobby across the political spectrum from
> the conservative right to the liberal left, there doesn't appear to be any
> evidence of a weakening of this historic relationship.

What you say seems right to me. Just note that when I say that some policy has become "impossibly onerous," I mean "as is." To change it, you can alter it a little or discard it and replace it altogether. That U.S. foreign policy in the Middle East, including the support of radical Zionism, has become too much to take for most capitalists in the U.S. doesn't imply that the solution for them would be "an abandonment of Israel."

Julio