[lbo-talk] ruling class

Miles Jackson cqmv at pdx.edu
Mon Mar 27 10:08:32 PST 2006

Doug Henwood wrote:
> andie nachgeborenen wrote:
>
>> I'm not sure that the existence of the ruling class
>> requires agreement on common interests (much less
>> being right about them), as opposed to, e.g., common
>> culture, solidarity, broadly shared values, simialr
>> positions wrt to productivea ssets, and the like.,
>> After all, the pre-WWI ruling class had no clue and
>> fairly little agreement aboyr what was in their common
>> interests, but surely constituted a class.
>

> The pre-WW I ruling class agitated to created the Federal Reserve. It
> was maybe their formative experience.
>
> Doug

But Justin has a good point here: whether or not they consciously share interests, the ruling class is the ruling class, due to their position in the social structure. The only interest the ruling class must share is accumulating capital. If we're trying to understand capitalism as a social system, the psychology doesn't have to get more complicated than that. --Now, if we're interested in the psychology of members of the ruling class (say, as a person might be fascinated with cases of obsessive-compulsive disorder or dissociative identity disorder), that's a quite distinct and different research topic.

Miles

Miles