[lbo-talk] Why there's no strategy to end this war

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Mon Mar 27 10:29:16 PST 2006

Steven L. Robinson wrote:

> Chuck - I think you miss the point here. The immigrants' rights
> mobilizations of recent days succeeded largely because constituency
> groups, like unions, fraternal associations, churches [not primarily
> liberal denominations, but normally conservative congregations of Roman
> Catholics, Evangrelicals and Pentacostals - such as Victory Outreach,
> etc fully participated and helped mobilize their members. How many
> unions or churches participate in a meaningful way in Answer? Virtually
> none. The sectarians of Answer are incapable of this. UFPJ may an actual
> coalition but I don't think that its constituent non profits like Global
> Exchange etc are truly capable of mobilizing people at this scale.

You are probably right about this.

At the peace rally here in Kansas City, I ran into some old activist comrades who I haven't seen since my activist days at KU in the 1980s. Who brought them out? They came with their church.

> If the experience of the anti-187 movement in California is any
> precedent, it is wrong to attribute the large participation and the
> emotions among the participants to narrow self interest. Participation
> amonng citizens and legal residents of Latino background who resented
> the slurs of the immigrant baiters.

I didn't want to boil down the motivation just to self-interest, even though that play a big role. I had suspected that the turnout was motivated in part as a reaction to all of the immigrant-bashing in the media. I'm sure that the right wing media extremists this week will be screaming about immigration issues. The Los Angeles march itself is a wakeup call for many people.

Chuck