[lbo-talk] ruling class

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon Mar 27 12:11:23 PST 2006

Miles Jackson wrote:

> The only interest the ruling class must share is accumulating capital.

No, the merely rich, the mere business class care about accumulating capital. To be a proper ruling class, it has to be conscious of itself as such. The people who agitated for the Federal Reserve and who designed the post-WW II Bretton Woods architecture were a proper ruling class. So were the people who led the crackdown of the 1970s that culminated in Volcker and Reagan. I'm not sure we have one now - and in part because they're too focused on accumulating capital to worry about the conditions of their own reproduction.

Doug