[lbo-talk] ruling class

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 15:07:27 PST 2006

On 3/27/06, andie nachgeborenen <andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com> wrote:
> And to register a note of disagreement with Jim, the
> "power elite" he refers to are precisely the penumbra
> of far-sighted, forward thinking individuals, the
> "wise men," who can think beyond the next quarterly
> report are take in and synthesize different views of
> the class as a whole.

No. The "wise men" _can_ be in the power elite, but aren't always. The power elite, by definition, simply are those with the most power. (In our society, it's organized capital, the US government leadership.) Sometimes we see knaves and fools in the power elite, as currently. The capitalists' _intellectual_ elite (the "wise men") includes various establishmentarian types (whose names have slipped my mind) who disagreed with Dubya's Iraq attack, along with some that agreed. In sum, the power elite and the intellectual elite are overlapping sets, with less overlap of late.

-- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles