[lbo-talk] Rambling NOtes on the ruling class

Bill Bartlett billbartlett at dodo.com.au
Tue Mar 28 19:29:01 PST 2006

At 1:44 PM -0600 28/3/06, Carrol Cox wrote:

> Only under conditions of developed struggle does the
>identification and analysis of the internal structure of either working
>class or ruling class (a) become really possible and (b) contribute to
>political thinking.

What drivel. It implies that there is no struggle, which I think there is - the absence of developed class consciousness doesn't mean there isn't a class struggle going on.

It just means we are losing. One reason we are losing is the absence of class consciousness within the working class. So it seems to me Carrol is effectively putting the cart before the horse, saying we must put off class analysis until after we are winning. But what if, as seem logical, we can't do other than lose without a better developed class consciousness? After all, the only viable strategy for victory is class solidarity and you can't really expect class solidarity among a class who doesn't have any sense that it is a class.

So Carrol is, yet again, spouting gibberish. As his subject line suggests.

Bill bartlett Bracknell tas