[lbo-talk] ruling class

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 28 20:38:04 PST 2006

I wrote:
> > It's useful to distinguish between the "ruling class" and the
> > "governing class" (or power elite) in order to clarify this.

Miles:
> So according to this terminology, Doug's interested in the psychology
> of the governing class/power elite, not the ruling class. (It's
> strange to me how fuzzy the concept "ruling class" is on a left-wing
> mail list!)

I don't think it's fuzzy as much as people use differing vocabularies.

BTW, I found C. Wright Mills' key -- and among Marxist sociologists, famous -- footnote (from THE POWER ELITE) on-line. Here it is:

'Ruling class' is a badly loaded phrase, 'Class' is an economic term; 'rule' a political one. The phrase, 'ruling class,' thus contains the theory that an economic class rules politically. That short-cut theory may or may not at time be true, but we do not want to carry that one rather simple theory about in the terms that we use to define our problems; we wish to state the theories explicitly, using terms of more precise and unilateral meaning. Specifically, the phrase 'ruling class,' in its common political connotations, does not allow enough autonomy to the political order and its agents, and it says nothing about the military as such. It should be clear to the reader by now that we do not accept as adequate the simple view that high economic men unilaterally make all decisions of national consequence. We hold that such a simple view of 'economic determinism' must be elaborated by 'political determinism' and 'military determinism'; that the higher agents of each of these three domains now often have a noticeable degree of autonomy; and that only in the often intricate ways of coalition do they make up and carry through the most important decisions. Those are the major reasons we prefer 'power elite' to 'ruling class' as a characterizing phrase for the higher circles when we consider them in terms of power.

-- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles