[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 29 12:46:34 PST 2006

Nathan is legally and probably politically correct, but this would be class war -- and if there were a strike like that here it would be class war -- and the working class response would have to be escalate. It's not possible to say precisely what that would mean, but one scenario would involve large scale primary and illegal secondary strikes and boycotts, sitdowns and occupations, aimed at key industries, preferably ones where capital flight was difficult, combined with a campaign to win public support as much as possible. Physical confrontation of the Homestead/Harlan County variety would not be unlikely. The media and the liberal Democrats would condemn the unions'/workers' illegal action. Strike funds would be vulnerable to seizure unless protected. Runious fines would be imposed on unions. Think of the British miner's strike of 1984 -- the workers lost that one, and they might well this -- but the pattern of ruling class response should be studied. You better believe the other side studies it. Nothing like this is on the immediate horizon, but well-behaved supplicants going hat in hand to politely beg a crust from their masters will be lucky to get crumbs and kick.