[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 29 15:25:37 PST 2006

On 3/29/06, Nathan Newman <nathanne at nathannewman.org> wrote:
>>> Folks on the list seem to engage in almost mindless union-bashing without
>>>even a nod in the direction of the legal reality under which US unions
>>>operate.

me: >>can you quote some of this "almost mindless union-bashing," please?

Doug:
> To Nathan, criticism = bashing....

I noticed that. In a previous thread, I noted the similarity of his attitude to that of the old USSR apologists, who saw any criticism of the Soviet Union as reactionary.

Usually, in my experience, that kind of attitude is a reflection of some sort of deep insecurity. I doubt that it's psychological insecurity. Maybe Nathan's attitude reflects the deep structural fragility of the US organized labor.

-- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles