[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Wed Mar 29 18:54:30 PST 2006

Nathan Newman wrote:

>One of my all time favorite labor books is Geoghegan's WHICH SIDE ARE YOU
>ON? which is practically non-stop criticism of unions. The difference is
>that it's written from sympathy with those struggling to make unions
>survive, not the predominantly hostility that you and Fitch who you quote
>repeatedly express towards most of those involved in the union movement.

Look Nathan. The people who are "struggling to make unions survive" are largely failing. Unions are dying. If I thought the idea of unions was for shit, I wouldn't care. But I do care that they're failing. Stop acting as if 1) they're not failing, and 2) Fitch and I don't care.

>Most people in the union movement spend most of their time critiquing what
>unions are doing and how to improve them, but I rarely hear anything
>particularly useful in the latter regard on this list. Partly because folks
>seem so damn ignorant of the legal restraints unions operate under.

I know the legal restraints they operate under. But at least they're not being shot by Pinkertons. And they just have to do better than they are or they're going to die. And you and they have to stop blaming US law, because that's not going to change. We make history, but not with the tools of our own choosing.

Doug