[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

JC Helary jch.helary at free.fr
Thu Mar 30 04:55:17 PST 2006

On 2006/03/30, at 21:37, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:

> JC Helary wrote:
>> So, whatever the actual number of strikes or lockouts is (and I'd say
>> mostly strikes in Japan), they seem to be much more efficient (read
>> involve more workers for more workdays off) in the US than in Japan.
>
> What sort of strike is more efficient for workers? The short one
> that results in a win (which may mean actual gains or just fighting
> off losses) for workers: generally speaking, the longer the strike,
> the harder it is for workers to win (you might compare the TWU
> Local 100's strike in NYC on one hand and USW vs. Ormet [lasting
> for 251 days in 2005], AMFA vs. Northwest [lasting for 91 days in
> 2005], etc. mentioned at <http://www.bls.gov/news.release/
> wkstp.nr0.htm>). Few strikes that result in many work days lost
> are often indications that the strikes that do happen are very
> long. That's the case in the US: compare the numbers of workers
> affected in Japan and the US and the numbers of workdays lost in
> Japan and the US. The gap is wider in the latter than the former.

Indeed, you have a point here. Maybe I am too much used to the confrontational ways we have in France and fail to see the actual gains Japanese workers have by striking shorter with less people. I've been here long enough now to understand that there are a number of ways to defuse confrontation and that a very small number of people can sometimes accomplish quite a lot.

But the general labor situation in Japan does not seem to me like it is getting better especially on the low end of things. I remember last week, 20 something kids interviewed about the CPE demonstrations in France said something like "instead of complaining they should work seriously (ganbaru) to make themselves necessary in the company and not be fired". Here, young people have no choice but to accept the freeta/baito way if they don't find a "real" job after uni. And no union is going to fight for them in that case.

So in the end, I doubt the Japanese labor movement is any way more efficient to protect workers right than in the US. But maybe I need to see a bigger picture of the situation.

Jean-Christophe