[lbo-talk] Iraq: neoliberal "reform" + occupation repression

Jim Devine jdevine03 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 30 08:04:33 PST 2006

On 3/30/06, Chuck Grimes <cgrimes at rawbw.com> wrote:
> Since neoliberal `reform' is essentially war on the working class and
> the welfare state, we can see the destruction of whole US communities all
> around us---mostly urban poverty and its attendenting symptoms:
> unemployment of course, higher infant mortality, chronic disease
> rates, etc.

neoliberal "reform" (including privatization) is _also_ a matter of "crony capitalism," in which in-group capitalists grab previously state-owned or state-run assets and activities at cut rates. It's also a form of political patronage, in which the government rewards its friends (and punishes its enemies, natch) so its friends give money and in-kind benefits back to the politicians. -- Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles