[lbo-talk] Chomsky: Israel Lobby ?

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Mar 30 10:24:03 PST 2006

Carl Remick wrote:

>You're focusing on a point that is marginal at best to Alam's
>central argument, which is that present-day Israel subverts the US's
>obvious material interests, i.e.:
>
>"The obvious American path [to world domination], if we started
>carte blanche, would be to actually get 300 of the 306 million
>people in an oil-rich region on your side as much as possible; to
>get the side that actually has the oil to tolerate you - you know,
>the dozens of countries versus ... just the one without any oil.
>Otherwise, you end up with some nasty stuff: mass riots ostensibly
>over cartoons, a totally unstable simmering Arab world with creaky
>despots sitting on a pot of boiling Islamists, a fanatical Iranian
>regime which nonetheless understands that another country owning 200
>nuclear warheads legitimizes its own possession of such arms - and
>so on."
>
>QED I'd say.

Gee, that Zionist lobby is pretty damned clever! They've really put one over on the US bourgeoisie, haven't they?

How can people believe this nonsense? How can you argue that the US elite has systematically and persistently misunderstood its interests for almost 40 years? That makes sense if you believe in the sinister conspiratorial effectiveness of The Jews; otherwise, it makes none.

Doug