[lbo-talk] Postpunk 1978-1984

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 30 10:38:44 PST 2006

I think Michael Pugliese forwarded a post-punk special from the NY Times website that included bits of this book and audio files of bands from the era. There's a huge amount of Joy Division worship going on these days, and post-punk's pretty much the "it" thing though it's arguably getting as played out as, uh, "emo," etc., or "New Rock" (Vines, Strokes, Hives, White Stripes).

One music critic -- can't remember who -- said we're in the "throwback" era of music, where modern bands are judged in terms of who they're a "throwback" to (She Wants Revenge = Joy Division, Arctic Monkeys = The Jam, or whatever), and bands consciously TRY to present themselves as a "throwback" to something that came before.

I'm pretty anti-nostalgia in this regard, and do not think really great, exciting punk or post-punk (or plain ol' rock 'n roll) quit being made in 1985, or 1990, or whatever, the way many seem to. Not saying you think this, Michael :)

-B.