[lbo-talk] Sculpture of Britney Spears giving birth: "Monument to Pro-Life"

Sean Johnson Andrews inciteinsight at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 30 11:52:12 PST 2006

[She's naked on a bearskin rug, kneeling on all fours and is supposedly in the process of giving birth.]

NEW YORK (AP) - Britney Spears will soon be giving birth again - as a sexy sculpture in Brooklyn that has drawn thousands of hate e-mails. "This is a new take on pro-life. Pro-lifers normally promote bloody images of abortion. This is the image of birth," artist Daniel Edwards said of his work, to be unveiled at a Brooklyn gallery in April. The new work comes months after Edwards' sculpture of baseball great Ted Williams' severed head stirred up an artistic storm.

The life-size pop princess is naked and pregnant, crouching face-down on a bare-toothed bear rug as the baby's head appears on the opposite end.

<clip>

The sculptor's three children - ages three, six, and eight - helped build the first clay model of the sculpted Britney, mainly the bear rug.

"At first, the kids thought it was kind of gross. Yukky. But then, they got curious," their 40-year-old dad said in a telephone interview from his home, which is near his studio.

Compared to the hubbub around his art, Edwards' life is peaceful. He takes care of his two boys and a girl during the day, while his wife, a microbiologist whom he married right after high school, goes to work. Then they switch childcare duties while he works on his art.

His sculpture of the pop diva comes six months after she gave birth to her first child, Sean Preston - and about a half year after Edwards displayed what he called his "shrine" to baseball great Williams, whose body was decapitated and frozen in hopes that medical science could one day revive him.

When asked why he creates art that generates publicity for him by piggybacking on subjects hyped in the media, Edwards said: "You're bombarded with these stories. And there's a thread that winds back to the art. That's not a bad thing. People are interested in these topics, and it works for art as well."

Spears' publicist, Leslie Sloan, did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press on Tuesday.

Edwards said he has never spoken to or met the star, and that he fashioned her face and figure from photographs.

"I admire her. This is an idealized figure," he said. "Everyone is coming at me with anger and venom, but I depicted her as she has depicted herself - seductively. Suddenly, she's a mom."

Edwards' mother was 17 when he was born, and he said his aim was to stir up debate about a difficult topic that "is greater than the issues presented by either pro-life and pro-choice advocates."

When asked whether he is pro-life, he said, "You nailed me. I'm not saying that I am. I wouldn't march with either pro-life or pro-choice advocates. This is not meant to be political."

http://jam.canoe.ca/Music/2006/03/28/1509978-ap.html

I think this is the artist's website http://www.caplakesting.com/