[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Thu Mar 30 13:45:36 PST 2006

Nathan wrote:

>people on this list are incapable of saying anything positive about
>unions, even when the unions are doing
>positive things. (and these comments ignore the fact that many SEIU
>members live in Los Angeles and didn't need buses to get to the rallies).

This comment ignores the fact that no one expected more than 20,000 people to show up. Even giving SEIU credit for getting all those 20,000 out, that's still about half a million people that came because of something else. I think what people are saying here is not that unions are not doing positive things, but that they are missing the chance to do more, a hell of a lot more, with the resources they have. And why should we not expect that?