[lbo-talk] Chomsky: Israel Lobby ?

joanna 123hop at comcast.net
Thu Mar 30 23:17:41 PST 2006

Jerry Monaco wrote:

> I don't get it! What does the cold war have to do with it?

Israel first became useful during the cold war, funnelling intelligence to the U.S. from former Soviet and east european jews who emigrated to Israel. For a first rate account see: Cockburn's "Dangerous Liasons."

> The strategic value of Israel was the same before and after the Cold
> War.

No. The U.S. was not all that gung ho before the Cold War. They did at first not want to alienate the Arab states by supporting Israel. The BIG turning point came in 67, when Israel proved that it could fight.

> Israel is a regime that acts a little as if it was U.S. agent on the
> scene so we support it.

Israel first offered itself as an agent to the Ottoman turks, but got no buyers. Then to the Brits, but the Brits had to get out of the empire business after WWII, so that was a no op. Finally, there was the U.S. who decided to take them up on the offer.

> The goals in the Middle East are the same before and after the Cold War.

The goals are the same; but the means have changed and may change again.

Joanna