[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Dennis Claxton ddclaxton at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 31 11:22:49 PST 2006

>You miss the point since I never said that the unions were responsible for
>THIS EVENT;

And my point is that THIS EVENT is the story. This thing was so big that it should make everyone step back and ask how it happened.

>If you deny credit to the unions for their role, then that is
>sectarianism, just as it would be sectarian to deny credit to many
>of the other groups that mobilized.

I'm not denying the union role. I"m saying it needs to be put in perspective. You've said here that people criticizing unions don't offer any ideas. Here's one. Take that union war chest and buy some media outlets. Maybe even Pacifica. Make them an offer they can't refuse. Clearly the decisive thing last week was a few days of saturation media coverage. That turned a 20,000 person Cesar Chavez day into a half million that nobody can deny.