[lbo-talk] NYT on French unions

Nathan Newman nathanne at nathannewman.org
Fri Mar 31 13:35:09 PST 2006

----- Original Message ----- From: "Wojtek Sokolowski" <sokol at jhu.edu>

>The idea of unions buying Pacifica was to turn this valuable
>medium from narcissistic exaltations in irrelevance into one appealing to
>broad sections of the population (a la European labor-leaning media e.g.
>the Guardian). Better yet, buying a regular commercial station and turning
>it into a labor-friendly medium has the advantage of a name brand not being
>tainted by the Pacifica-style esoterism.

But most people wouldn't listen. Just as, frankly, no one listens to Fox News, relatively. They get 1.5 million at their peak audience times; as I've noted, about a million people read Daily Kos each day, so we're not even that outmatched by the mainstream rightwing media.

Frankly, where the left gets its ass kicked is by the religious right media, but that's a whole different problem that the unions buying a radio station or two won't counterbalance.

-- Nathan Newman