[lbo-talk] Iraq: neoliberal "reform" + occupation repression

Chuck Grimes cgrimes at rawbw.com
Fri Mar 31 21:43:09 PST 2006

neoliberal "reform" (including privatization) is _also_ a matter of "crony capitalism," in which in-group capitalists grab previously state-owned or state-run assets and activities at cut rates. It's also a form of political patronage, in which the government rewards its friends (and punishes its enemies, natch) so its friends give money and in-kind benefits back to the politicians.

Jim Devine

-----------

I've enjoyed Brian's thoughtful movie reviews in MRMagazine. But sometimes a movie comes along that appeals to my sense of cynicism so thoroughly it needs no analysis. I rented Lord of War tonight. The voice over monologue of Nicholas Cage expresses itself so well that it needs no analysis. Here are few quotes.

``Of course you're not a true internationalist until you have supplied weapons to kill your own countrymen.''

``Peace talks? Alright, I'll re-route the shipment to the Balkans--at least they keep their word.''

``What took a cargo crew at Heathrow a day, took a bunch of malnourished Sierra Leon locals ten minutes.''

``Umbrellas in the Sahara?''

I've often thought the drug trade was the last and best example of capitalism and classical economics---following the tenets of supply and demand and free market self-regulation in its purist form. But I was wrong. I think that weapons are probably a better example---particularly those like the automatic assault rifle that require vast amounts of ammunition to keep them working. At the firing rates usually illustrated they burn money faster than cocaine.

My only reservation was the movie's focus on Africa. The US doesn't give a shit what happens in Africa---maybe the point. But it left our current US imbroglios in the Middle East off the hook.

I would be tempted to change a little of the story line to link up the Russian connection from Brighton Beach through a Harvard Business School connection (maybe a successful brother going for his MBA)---and from there into the Soviet military bureaucracy---just to give a certain evil cache to the great neoliberalism of the 90's and the triumphant fall of the Soviet Union.

A completely enjoyable movie.

CG