[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon May 1 05:35:01 PDT 2006

andie nachgeborenen wrote:

> However, apart from libertarian, anti-paternalistic
> considerations of letting people go to hell their own
> way, we've tried prohibition, and it doesn't work.

I'm in pretty complete agreement with Justin's whole arrgumen. A couple points. I put no stock whatever in the libertarin position -- in large part because I reject the ahistorical concept of "the individual" implied in it. The second point is profound distrust in the criminal justice system as it now exists, and the knowledge that the War on Drugs (n fact the War on Crime as a whole) is not for the purpose or controlling drugs but for controlling large sectors of the working class, and in contributing to the justification of the enormous police & prison apparatus in the u.s. The Police as they now exist resemble mor a military reserve on constant semi-callup than they do anything like the police force we would require minus the War on Drugs. In terms of ideology, the War on Crime is the virtual smoke of a virtual fire -- implying that the major sources of our misery are crime & terrorism, not the workings of the capitalist society. If we catch the crooks, all will be well. (I throw out for consideration, without trying to interpre it myself, that current crime fiction -- which as always is aimed at a reasonably sophisticated readership), increasingly for a decade or two has emphasized "the serial killer" (i.e. an abstract -- isolated -- individual) as The Enemy to be fought.)

Carrol

We