[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

Wojtek Sokolowski sokol at jhu.edu
Mon May 1 07:37:28 PDT 2006

Justin: I'm for decriminalization myself, but note that alcohol does cause a lot of criminal behavior, and probably so might somew other drugs if legalized. Speed, for example. Coke, especially crack. Probably not pot or, if kept affordable, opiates.

Doug:
> So if drugs cause criminal behavior, the crimes
> themselves can be
> punished. Why criminalize the drugs, which normally
> don't cause
> criminal behavior?

John A:

I assume the reasoning is: When you take away the economic problem of paying for the habit, it's stimulants generally which cause both violence and accidental carnage. Consider how alcohol facilitates interpersonal violence--that's stimulant behavior.

I'm not so sure anymore it's the right thing to decriminalize the heavy stimulants.

[WS:] One thing that baffles me about this list is a particular form of discourse in which people respond to a post indicating their disagreement, and then they merely rephrase the same position with which they professed to disagree.

I think I was quite clear that I consider the current drug policies in the US quite idiotic (the term that I used), and that I am in favor of decriminalization of mind altering substances. However, I also acknowledged that the use of certain mind-altering substances may involve high social cost, and it is that social cost that should be the subject of government policies. So why are you guys using my posting as a scapegoat for expressing your dissatisfaction with the current drug laws? Just because I have the habit of questioning the received wisdom?

Dennis C:

I don't know what you get out of this Mickey Spillane of the Left posturing and I don't see how it contributes to serious discussion anymore than the crocodile tears you complain about.

[WS: ] Interesting. I've been trying to ask you the same question for some time - what is that you are trying to tell me? Clearly, my postings rub you the wrong way and you are trying to snipe at them every time you have a chance, without being very clear what your objections really are. I am not quite sure what your problem is - is it something that I said, or you just need a punching bag to feel good about yourself? But let's keep it civil. Once again, I suggest you ignore my postings and I promise to do likewise. Otherwise, I will have no choice but to add your name to my anti-spam filter.

Wojtek