[lbo-talk] NYT: Dan v Barney

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Mon May 1 08:20:14 PDT 2006

<http://www.gawker.com/news/public-editor/public-editor-1-beats-public-editor-no-2-170654.php>

'Public Editor #1' Beats Public Editor No. 2 READ MORE: NEW YORK MAGAZINE, BARNEY CALAME, DAN OKRENT, PUBLIC EDITOR

As we weren't reading Times public editor Barney Calame yesterday - does anyone read insufferably boring and continually irrelevant Times public editor Barney Calame anymore? - we happened across Carl Swanson's Q&A with former pubic editor Dan Okrent in the new New York mag (which we can't seem to find on the New York site). It's a discussion of Okrent's new collection of his public-editor columns, which apparently his fans demanded. A highlight:

[Q] The only person you really single out in the intro is business reporter David Cay Johnston, who started a campaign against you for being on a corporate board. [A] Yeah, he was very single-out-able. I didn't mention this in the book, but when I had my troubles with Johnston, one of the senior editors said to me, "There are three things you must understand about Johnston: He's a Pulitzer Prize winner, he's a unique talent, and he's an asshole." I'm convinced that at least two of those are correct.

And a highlight from the Calame column we didn't read: "Based on the close look I have given The Times's coverage in response to these messages, the soundness of the news judgment reflected in the paper's performance so far deserves a decent grade."

Come back, Dan? Please?

Public Editor: Covering the Duke Lacrosse Team Case [NYT] <http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/23/opinion/23pubed.html>