[lbo-talk] Commentary: McNealy's Greatests Hits -- And Misses

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Mon May 1 09:55:13 PDT 2006

I am forwarding this not because Sun (the company) is particularly leftist (and Scott McNealy definitely is not). My intention is to hopefully trigger some curiosity among non-techies about recent Internet history (1985 and later), and the vital role that Sun (a company that I greatly admire for its technical output) played in it. As the piece below notes, starting with their seminal "The Network is the Computer" approach, Sun got it right almost each time (it mattered) through the 90s.

--ravi

http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/content/06_19/b3983043.htm

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/