[lbo-talk] Colbert on Daily Show yesterday, post-Bush bashing

Chuck chuck at mutualaid.org
Tue May 2 08:11:50 PDT 2006

Dennis Perrin wrote:

> But from what I saw, and based on my years in the clubs, Colbert did
> bomb, in the sense that the audience wasn't fully with him or found much
> of his material distasteful or unfunny. Doesn't mean the material wasn't
> great -- much of it was. Hacks like Matthews base their perceptions on
> what a well-heeled audience does or doesn't do, as opposed to assessing
> the material itself. The NY/Beltway crowd aren't critics or even comedy
> aficionados. They serve domestic power, and act/speak accordingly.

The material was great. The crowd was just comprised of the ruling elite who don't like anybody making fun of the powerful.

I have much more respect now for Colbert.

Chuck -------------------------- Bread and Roses Web Design serving small businesses, non-profits, artists and activists http://www.breadandrosesweb.com/