[lbo-talk] Colbert on Daily Show yesterday, post-Bush bashing

mike larkin mike_larkin2001 at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 08:49:41 PDT 2006

took me a long time to warm up to Colbert, but now I think he's a genius.

Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> wrote: info at pulpculture.org wrote:

>took the time to watch this and I just about fell asleep it was so
>boring -- and not nearly as rude or funny as folks made it out to
>be. I suppose rude in the sense that you're not supposed to rub the
>president's face in this sort of thing -- and I'm sure Shrubya threw
>a tanty later on. But, we have nursery rhymes that were hard on
>leaders a few centuries ago that seem harsher than Colbert's stuff.

I don't think it was very funny either, but it was rude. What was scandalous about it is that our leaders almost never have to experience any kind of hostility face to face - the press is almost uniformly polite, and the president and other top honchos live in bubbles. Colbert's rudeness exposed the phoniness of this annual ritual, at which the politicos and the press perform harmless comedic scripts with each other. He was mean, and you're not supposed to be mean.