[lbo-talk] 30 April 1975 (Re: "Save Darfur" etc)

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 09:26:32 PDT 2006

I've seen two sides to the "US lost in Vietnam" issue from the left. One side -- including, it seems a lot of Maoists -- say the US withdrawal from Vietnam shows what relatively untrained peasant militias and guerillas can do against the world's biggest superpower. So it's an inspiring example of anti-imperialist resistance.

Another side, including Chomsky, says the US actually won the Vietnam war because it achieved its objective -- to smash the civil society and ensure no meaningful development could occur. Or least not any that could make it an exemplar for any other anti-capitalist country. In that sense, the US won.

-B.

Jim Devine wrote:

"it seems to me that (1) the US lost the war because US troops were kicked out of VN and US imperial schemes were stifled temporarily in that area."

Dennis Redmond wrote:

"That's no small victory, no? Vietnam paid a fearsome toll in blood for its independence, but its victory also gave the other East Asian developmental states the breathing-space they needed to flourish."