[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Tue May 2 12:12:43 PDT 2006

Yeah, Woj, the dead horse you are beating here is sort of early 70s radical chic stuff, I don't know too many people who romanticize prisoners. (Not of course that romanticizing bad men and outlaws is not a very long American tradition: "Let me sing you a story of Billy The Kid . . . " Jesse James, Pretty Boy Floyd. Doubtless thsi is continued in the annals of hip hop.)

As any criminal defense lawyer will tell you (and I'm one at least part time), most prisoners are guilty as charged, and not of political offenses. (Of course not all the things they are charged with should be offenses -- like nonviolent drug crimes.)

There is a certain rate of miscarriages, convictions of innocent people, alarmingly high in death cases, and an even higher rate of constitutional rights violations, but these don't make criminals into revolutionaries or radicals or heroes. Likewise with people like Padilla and Hamdhi, who are civil liberties poster children but not heroes to be lionized.

There are a few prisoners who might fit the bill -- Mumia, Peletier, a handful of others. Now, Lynne Stewart and her translator --we should _really_ get behind these people in particular. She and he are heroes. (Stewart hasn't actuially been incarcerated yet, as far as I know.) Formerly, Reuben Hurricane Carter, now released as everyone knows. His alleged (manufactured) offense wasn't political, but his fight for freedom became political.

Anyway, I don't think you are on track with with this particular train, Woj.

jks