[lbo-talk] jobs for the disabled & microenterprises

Marta Russell ap888 at lafn.org
Tue May 2 15:59:49 PDT 2006

On May 2, 2006, at 1:20 PM, Jim Devine wrote:

> right. the employers need education & pressure.
> --
> Jim Devine / "There can be no real individual freedom in the presence
> of economic insecurity." -- Chester Bowles

The ADA was not followed up with Affirmative Action like the civil rights movement of the 60s was. Since there were and continue to be so many Repugnants in influence in the disability movement, affirmative action was a dirty word and not pushed as a means to "level the playing field." It's unAmerican, you know. Affirmative action did help people of color. Possibly it could have helped the disabled unemployment scene. Some European countries have a disability quota system for employers but the employers often buy out of it, I am told. And, regardless of this the disabled unemployment rate is about the same in the Western European nations and England. The right to a job at a living wage with health care for all is the only answer here, but we know how far away we are from that. HA.

Marta -------------- next part -------------- An HTML attachment was scrubbed... URL: <../attachments/20060502/11434760/attachment.htm>