[lbo-talk] MPug Rats Out Yoshie To Cooper

Dennis Perrin dperrin at comcast.net
Thu May 4 06:23:58 PDT 2006

MarvGan:

> You don't really mean to say we don't take sides on this, do you?
> Antisemite-baiting is the contemporary McCarthyism, albeit without the
> capacity to scare and silence Americans the way redbaiting did. Still, it
> threatens careers and reputations and needs to be squashed whenever and
> wherever it appears. Good reply by Yoshie on Cooper's blog to Pugliese's
> mischief.

I too oppose Anti-Semite-baiting, having been on the receiving end of it a few times myself. I see where Yoshie's going with her critique, and I agree that there's a lot of domestic political posturing over Darfur, and that a US military intervention would doubtless make matters worse. I think that Yoshie muddied the waters a bit by using a term like "Establishment Jews," which has an awkward if not rancid ring to it. The case against another war is strong enough. Why employ terms that are guaranteed to divert attention from the main point?

Dennis