[lbo-talk] Colbert, Dafur, and Dems

Steven L. Robinson srobin21 at comcast.net
Wed May 3 11:36:10 PDT 2006

I wonder whether such has seriously been tried - let alone succeeded- at a level higher than a local municipality. The defeat of Schwarzenegger's anti-labor ballot measures last year in California might qualify, though it is a different type of election. The only other example that I know of would be a Senatorial election in Pennsylvania in the early 1990s whre a Dem got elected because of his stance on health care reform (I believe he was defeated after the failure of the Clinton reform plan failed)..

The point is not that economic populism has a history of winning elections in this country - it doesn't - but that the neo-liberal politics of Clinton et al do not have a "grandly" successful track record in the electoral arena certainly not at the Congressional level and hardly stellar on the Presidential level. The New Dems are not wildly popular, which explains why the Republicans are in control of the levers of power in DC. SR

-------------- Original message -------------- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com>