[lbo-talk] Khomeni & Israel

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Wed May 3 12:45:09 PDT 2006

On Wed, 3 May 2006 14:24:18 -0400 Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> writes:
> [this is rather amazing - I had no idea! - I presume this was to
> annoy Iraq?]
>
> <http://www.juancole.com/>
>
> But, by the way, Khomeini sold oil to Israel, and Israel sold him
> weapons and spare parts, and put the Reagan administration up to
> doing the same thing. You will note that when Khomeini originally
> made the statement about the occupation regime over Jerusalem
> vanishing from the page of time, that was not front page news. In
> fact, secret Israeli arms shipments were arriving in Tehran as
> Khomeini was speaking. So whatever is going on now is not about the
> rhetoric, is it?

As a couple of people have already pointed out. The IDF and the Iranian military had developed a close working relationship during the time of the Shah. And that relationship continued after the Iranian revolution of 1979. With the outbreak of the Iran-Iraq war, the Israelis went out of their way to keep the Iranians supplied, since the Israelis were more concerned about Iraq than they were about Iran, since it was feared that Iraq under Saddam Hussein, might lead the Arabs in a pan-Arab front against Israel, just as Nasser had done back in the 1950s and 1960s.

Some people might remember the role that certain Israelis played in the Iran-contra, "arms for hostages" dealing under the Reagan Administration.