[lbo-talk] Colbert, Dafur, and Dems

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at verizon.net
Wed May 3 14:42:29 PDT 2006

Not necessarily. A self-employed person or entrepreneur might prefer regulation of large, predatory firms, up to or including nationalization (e.g., railroads in the 19th century) or substitution of cooperatives (ditto).

I wrote a piece on this to the effect that limiting class interest to overtly redistributive programs is reductionist. Public goods in general, particularly social insurance and public education, are broadly redistributive to a far greater extent than mere means-tested (anti-poverty) programs.

To me, economic populism has its roots in appeals to small business and the self-employed, which is what gives it its mixed character, sometimes progressive and sometimes not. Thus, easy credit and deregulation. Social democracy is far more comfortable with bigness, and wants to regulate capital and insulate the working class against the harshness of the market. So you caught me!