[lbo-talk] Re: Blaming the lobby

Julio Huato juliohuato at gmail.com
Thu May 4 03:14:59 PDT 2006

Carl Remick wrote:

> Niebuhr is a prime example of the liberal as
> Jekyll & Hyde -- a rampaging anticommunist
> one minute, a hand-wringing critic of the
> consumerist society the next.

Michael Pugliese agreed:

> Yup, so anti-Communist he came out against
> the Vietnam War in 1966.

The anti-communists who opposed the Vietnam war (and oppose the Iraq war) are my kind of anti-communists. But, seriously, I expect any capitalist with a healthy instinct of class survival to be anti-communist. FDR wasn't exactly a philo-communist, was he? But that doesn't mean that there's no significant difference between FDR and Bush. Those are the distinctions I was trying to point out.

Julio