[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

Jordan Hayes jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com
Thu May 4 04:05:42 PDT 2006

> So how was it in Florida in the 1980s and 90s if you
> happen to know.

Looks like a blip in the late 80s:

http://www.dc.state.fl.us/pub/annual/9596/stats/ia8.html

This doesn't exactly answer your question (since we were talking about total number in prison at a given time, which is kind of a slippery number anyway due to sentence-length issues) but it looks to me like there was a flurry of activity there for a while and now it's back where it was before. On the other hand, Florida has about 3x the number of prisoners now as it did in the late 80s. 1987 = 32,764 ... 2006 is nearing 90,000.

So I guess you should stop repeating what you heard :)