[lbo-talk] "Plan B, " emergency contraception, why the right hates it

B. docile_body at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 04:55:03 PDT 2006

tfast wrote:

"What no diagram?"

----

Har har. I think I chose a poor teaser for what really is an excellent blog entry at Pharyngula. The entry details how a major goal of the right is control of the female body, not preserving "the sanctity of life."

To wit:

"[Plan B contraception] is a form of birth control that tells the woman's ovaries to hold off on releasing any eggs for a short while. It's called emergency contraception, because it is used by a woman who has, for whatever reason (rape, a broken condom, misplaced enthusiasm, second thoughts, anything) had unwanted sperm in her reproductive tract, and she wants to make sure that this isn't the moment her ovaries happen to pop a follicle.

[...]

Plan B is not an abortion.

Plan B doesn't help if one is already pregnant, and it doesn't affect any implanted zygotes. Pregnant women produce progesterone naturally.

Plan B gives women the ability to control, to a limited extent, when they will expel a gamete. In purely reproductive terms, it's a bit like a male's ability to control when he will ejaculate, or expel his gametes. That's it. No fertilized zygotes are involved, so that level of the birth control debate isn't even relevant. It's simple, responsible, and safe. You'd have to be insane to object to Plan B."

That would've been better than me including the pssage about the diagram - heh.

-B.