[lbo-talk] Puff goes Mexican drug reform

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Thu May 4 06:17:47 PDT 2006

[File this under "Crazy Like a Fox." My assumption is that Vicente Fox's reversing field here doesn't betray a mercurial temperament so much as signal he got a substantial payoff from the US that will assure him his impending retirement is a lavish one. As I recall, it was Fox himself who *proposed* this legislation. It's a pity marijuana liberalization didn't go through -- if it had, that giant sucking sound south of the border would have been thousands of US tourists toking up.]

Mexican President Backs Off Drug Bill

BY MARK STEVENSON Thursday, May 4, 2006; 4:46 AM

MEXICO CITY -- Mexican President Vicente Fox backed off signing a drug decriminalization bill that the United States warned could result in "drug tourism" and increased availability of narcotics in American border communities.

Fox reversed course Wednesday and said he was sending the bill back to Congress for changes, just one day after his office had said he would sign it into law. ...

<http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/04/AR2006050400284.html>

Carl