Pioneer Wojtek, was: RE: [lbo-talk] it's inevitable

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu May 4 09:23:07 PDT 2006

At around 4/5/06 6:56 am, Jerry Monaco wrote:

> Judit Polgar is actually the youngest of three sisters and by father
> is the best chess player of them all. She is no doubt the best woman
> player of all time and has been in the top elite of grandmaster
> superstars since the 1990s. It is interesting that she is also the
> one woman that refuses to play in all women events.

Here's more on her record, courtesy Wikipedia and other sources:

1) Ranked #14 in the world -- April 2006 FIDE rating list 2) GM at 15 years 4 months -- youngest among all men and women 3) Ranked #10 in the world -- April 2003 FIDE (before her break) 4) 2003: came in #2 (Corus), 1 point ahead of world champion Kramnik 5) Ranked #8 in the world (July 2005 FIDE) 6) Has defeated Karpov, Viswanathan Anand (also Spassky, Short) 7) IM title at age 11 (younger than Fischer or Kasparov) 8) Defeated Kasparov: Russia vs Rest of World, 2002 (rapid chess)

> What incident are you talking about when you said that Judit was
> "cheated" of a victory by Kasparov? I don't remember it.

Linares, Spain: Judit aged 17, Kasparov, world champion, age 31

http://www.controltheweb.com/polgar/

=> The Washington Post/Kavalek: => => "In 1994 in Linares, Spain, Kasparov played a knight move against => Judit Polgar and removed his fingers from that piece. But after he => saw that he might lose material, he took the knight back and made a => different move. His act was caught on camera by a Spanish television => crew." - Excerpted from Washington Post Chess (Kavalek) July 3, 2000; => Page C13

[To be fair there are more charitable to Kasparov versions of the story, but I am not going to help propagate them, at least not here]

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/