Pioneer Wojtek, was: RE: [lbo-talk] it's inevitable

andie nachgeborenen andie_nachgeborenen at yahoo.com
Thu May 4 09:32:40 PDT 2006

I never said anything that anything was inherent, unbchangeable, etc. about the second-rank performance of women in chess. I have never seen one of these rankings that holds Judit P to be one of the top 10 players in the world -- just the top woman player. FIDE ranks Judit P at 14 overall, which is pretty fucking spectacular, though:

Rank Name Title Country Rating Games B-Year

1 Topalov, Veselin g BUL 2804 27 1975

2 Anand, Viswanathan g IND 2803 13 1969

3 Aronian, Levon g ARM 2756 27 1982

4 Svidler, Peter g RUS 2743 28 1976

5 Leko, Peter g HUN 2738 27 1979

6 Ponomariov, Ruslan g UKR 2738 16 1983

7 Ivanchuk, Vassily g UKR 2731 27 1969

8 Morozevich, Alexander g RUS 2730 10 1977

9 Kramnik, Vladimir g RUS 2729 11 1975

10 Gelfand, Boris g ISR 2727 13 1968

11 Adams, Michael g ENG 2720 15 1971

12 Grischuk, Alexander g RUS 2719 3 1983

13 Radjabov, Teimour g AZE 2717 14 1987

14 Polgar, Judit g HUN 2711 0 1976

15 Bacrot, Etienne g FRA 2708 30 1983

So of course she's respected, she's an awesome, world-class chess player. She's also one of the two or three women in the history of chess in that range. Whether we will see more women get up there, we'll see. No question she could beat me blindfold

Here's an interview with Susan Polgar, btw

http://blog.chesshouse.com/the_chess_house/2006/04/susan_polgar_ch.html

Btw, does anyone know a novel called The Queen's Gambit by Walter Tebit, amount a woman who becomes world champion? Good book -- and not just for chesss aficianados.