[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

ravi gadfly at exitleft.org
Thu May 4 09:47:00 PDT 2006

At around 4/5/06 12:32 pm, Jordan Hayes wrote:
> John Thornton asks:
>
>> If I run into a liquor store with my hand in my pocket and
>> tell the clerk to give me the till is that a violent crime?
>> According to the DOJ it is. While I won't argue it isn't
>> monumentally stupid I will argue it isn't violent.
>
> The threat of shooting someone unless they give you money, whether or
> not the threat is credible (how will we know? do we have to force your
> hand? what if you actually have a gun, but would never shoot it?) is
> ABSOLUTELY VIOLENT.
>
> Sheesh, what dictionary do you have today?

Well, what pair of glasses are YOU using today? John never wrote that he "threatened to shoot someone". All he wrote is: "my hand in my pocket", "tell the clerk to give me the till". It is entirely valid for you to assume that the threat is that you will get shot, just because he has his hands in his pocket? What about a 300 pound man walking up to a 100 pound man and asking for money?

Since I am the person who raised the issue of non-violent drug offenders populating the jails, in response to Wojtek, I have to add that this sort of over-analysis of petty detail is, to say the least, strange (especially the haranguing of Jerry Monaco who has expressed a clear eagerness to be corrected). So the population is 20% in state prisons and 50% in federal. Isn't 20+% bad enough? At least isn't it significant enough to question Wojtek's scorn and revulsion for prisoners and others that do not follow his style?

Yes, this is a bit of an irrational post for [sections of] which I will probably apologize tomorrow. Right now, I am just miserable.

--ravi

-- Support something better than yourself: ;-) PeTA: http://www.peta.org/ GreenPeace: http://www.greenpeace.org/