[lbo-talk] it's inevitable

jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net jthorn65 at sbcglobal.net
Thu May 4 12:15:51 PDT 2006

On 4 May 2006 at 11:23, Jordan Hayes wrote:

> Thornton: you took a firearm with you to commit a "simple" crime ...
> it's no wonder your attorney couldn't do much for you.

I took a car and my clothes more than I took a gun. At least those were used. The weapon just happened to be in the car 2 blocks from the "scene of the crime". I took the top off at 2AM by myself and carried it back to the car. The weapon had nothing to do with the crime. It was not used to threaten anyone and not in anyway involved. To consider that a "robbery with a weapon" is to make that phrase meaningless. If a weapon isn't used, not necessarily fired but even used to intimidate or threaten, then it is irrelevant to the crime committed. I had a Swiss Army knife in my pocket as well. Should that have made it two weapons?

I just happen to know more than one nice whiteboy who committed similar crimes with hunting rifles on racks in their pickup. Only difference was they usually drove their truck up to where the item they stole was situated so if anything the weapon was closer at hand. Hell some of them stole State property worth more than a convertible top. None of them were charged with robbery with a weapon for the reason that is obvious to everyone but you. They not only didn't use it but no one involved felt threatened because no one knew it was there. Minor thefts like that are pretty common on a college campus and a goodly portion of the kids had guns in their vehicles.

For what it's worth my attorney was absolutely dumbfounded by the charge. He claimed he had never seen such a thing in his life. My attorney met with the judge before the case was to be heard to try to get something done since he knew that judge. After that meeting the first thing my attorney asked me was "What the hell did you do to piss that judge off so much?". If you're not surprised you must be a more experienced attorney than he was. I usually try not to make assumptions about others on a personal level but Jordan if you consider mine or the above examples "violent crimes" you must lead an amazingly sheltered life. There was absolutely nothing violent about my stupid college prank and labelling me a violent offender for it is asinine. I guess if you think such a crime is violent then you are right about one thing. Everyone in prison is violent by your standard.

John Thornton